Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Another Snow Day

Another post that I wrote last week...

Mayor Mennino called for another snow day for today, Tuesday, making it 5 days of being home. I was almost happy to go into work yesterday, and Eliot was feeling stressed about yet another day with Astrid. He kept asking, “What am I going to do with her?” They ended up having a calm and happy day. Astrid played on her floor for almost the entire day. She loves doing that and never gets enough time to just be. It’s kind of weird. I remember my entire childhood as just playing or reading. But now kids are so scheduled. She has friends who have a different activity every day: gymnastics, chess, ballet, theatre, soccer, piano... My plan was for her to take one music class and one sport and we couldn’t even keep that up. How do people find the time? When do those kids do homework? And when do they play on the floor? Part of me feels guilty like I’m not giving her the advantages other kids are getting. But when we tried to add piano practice to an already full day, it was way too stressful. So we quit and now she uses the keyboard as a shelf to keep her drawings on. Eliot keeps saying we should sell it, but I think that someday she might want to play it and it’ll be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment