Sunday, February 17, 2013

Snow Weekend

This is one of several posts I wrote last week, so pretend you read this last week.

Astrid had a snow day on Friday and surprisingly, my work sent out an e-mail saying it was up to each person to decide if they should come in to work or work from home. So of course I worked from home. But now it’s Sunday and three days of snow-bound togetherness is tough. We went for a walk yesterday, after a 30-minute meltdown over wearing snow pants. I finally said, “OK, fine, don’t wear snow pants. In fact, just go out in your dress” (which was short-sleeved). She was screaming, “I’ll do it your way! You always get your way!” Eliot suggested I just go out by myself, which I did, gladly. It was so weird out, with no cars, people walking in the streets, snow piled shoulder-high. I walked to Thorton’s that had a “we are open!” sign taped to the door, then down to Ramler Park. By then I was freezing and made my way home. I opened the door and Astrid had her snow pants on and very sweetly said "I'm sorry I made such a fuss," so we all went out again. Astrid was climbing up and down every snow drift and laughing. Living with a child is like living with a schizophrenic. 

Astrid’s been writing her next book, Lost!, and I got tired of sharing the computer with her, so I set up the old laptop and moved her book files over. We’re working across from each other at the table with our laptops touching. Eliot’s at his computer, redoing some vocals. We’re all pursuing our own creative impulses. It’s a cozy domestic scene, but we’re going to go out sledding shortly.

Just got a phone call that school is cancelled again tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment