Thursday, March 7, 2013

It’s All Too Fast

So this afternoon was Astrid’s second swim class and it seems to be going well. She’s excited about going and likes her teacher. There are only two other kids in her group, so she’s getting lots of attention, which is what I had hoped. It’s hard to see what’s going on, however. There’s one tiny room upstairs overlooking the pool for parents to watch from. There are 10 folding chairs and room for about only 8 of them, and every time I’ve gone up there, all the chairs are filled. I’ve stood in the doorway, trying to peer around to see Astrid through the window. All the other moms seem to know each other and I overheard a conversation about various summer sleep-away camps. This one mom signed up her 7-year-old at a camp for 7 weeks. I was floored. I’m all for instilling independence, but that’s practically the whole summer! Eliot and I have been watching old movies of Astrid, especially this one he put up on Facebook from when she was almost three and wanted a bike. It’s so sweet, with her high, little voice and wispy hair. Her childhood is hurtling past and I can’t imagine missing out on a couple months of it.

I had a doctor’s appointment today. It was one of my New Year’s Resolutions, to get a mammogram and a physical.  We spent a lot of the time talking about menopause. Holy fucking shit. It was bad enough a couple years ago when I had pain in my hand and was diagnosed with arthritis. I could tell myself I was too young to have something like that. (Although I said, “But my grandma had arthritis” and my doctor replied, “No, you have arthritis.”) Anyway, it’s all going by too fast. Who said that quote about getting older means having breakfast every 15 minutes? It’s true.

No comments:

Post a Comment