Friday, March 29, 2013

Spring has sprung!



I’m so excited about it finally being gardening season! Tomorrow is the Gardener’s Gathering at Northeastern. I’m always surprised by spring; it seems like winter is never going to end, then suddenly it’s spring and I haven’t started my seeds yet. It was especially bad this year, with all the snow we’ve gotten. This time last year, when the temperatures were in the 70s, I had planted my peas already (I’ve gotten the alliterative mneumoics down: plant peas on St. Patrick’s Day, and taxes and tomatoes). Last weekend, I finally ordered some seeds and plants and sent my garden renewal in (for my plot at Fenway Victory Gardens). I requested a second plot, but I doubt I’ll get it because those are supposed to be reserved for people who served on the board. Kristen, the current president, suggested I write on the renewal that I’ve worked on the newsletter for the past several years. We’ll see if that makes a difference. Astrid was the one who wanted a second plot. She said she wants space for her own garden, where she can dig in the dirt or just play, and she knows there’s no room in our space for that. If I don’t get a second plot, I don’t know where I’m going to put everything I bought. As always, my eyes are bigger than my garden. I spent a small fortune on beans, peas, cucumbers, basil, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, and cosmos, and a beauty berry bush (pictured above). On top of all the seeds left over from last year. And, of course, the plants already in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment