Monday, April 1, 2013

Time to Myself

I was putting Astrid to bed and she wanted me to stay with her, as always. Then she said, “You can go. You have two jobs: you’re my mom and you have your work work, so you should have some time to yourself.” What the? Where did she come up with that? But of course, when I asked, “You mean it’s ok if I go out of the room?”, she smiled sheepishly and said “uh-uh.” She meant I could sit on the floor with my computer.

Speaking of time to myself, the Gardener’s Gathering was wonderful this year. When we walked up to the registration desk, the woman behind the desk said, “Astrid, would you like a name tag, too?” She was someone from the Fenway Garden Society, and we must have been introduced at some point, but it was a little strange someone knowing us that I couldn’t place. Usually it’s the other way around; I recognize people who have no idea who I am. Anyway, Astrid and Eliot went to a lecture on the history of community gardens in Boston, then went home so Astrid could have a playdate with Abby. I stayed for the whole day; for the first time, I went to three workshops: raised beds, worm composting, and companion planting.  It felt good to be in the company of gardeners, and also to be doing something for me. I’m always working or doing errands or too exhausted to do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment